These are the steps you need to take to output XML data from ASP script:
- Clear the output buffer to ensure no HTML tags are sent to the client;
- Set the content-type to text/xml;
- Optionally (but highly recommended) set the character set to utf-8 and change the ASP code page;
- Output the XML data (for example, writing a DOM object xml property to the output stream);
- Stop ASP script processing.
The sample ASP code is included below and you can get more in-depth description of the necessary operations in my InformIT article Optimized presentation of XML content.
Response.ContentType = contentType
Response.Charset = "utf-8"
Response.Codepage = 65001