- Install SAXON;
- Create a small XML document with structure that represents your input data;
- Create a small XSL stylesheet focusing on features you want to test;
- Use xml:output method='text' in the test stylesheet to produce the test results without XML garbage;
- Perform the tests with SAXON;
- Test the transformation in your target environment. If you're developing browser-side transformations, insert xsl-stylesheet pseudo-instruction in your XML document and open it with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
You can see how I've used this approach in this post.