Chrome: first impressions

I've just downloaded Chrome (the new browser from Google), tested it on my applications and got immediately impressed - they all worked, even the client-side XSLT transformation driven by the xsl-stylesheet directive. Then I did a few more random tests and my enthusiasm was drastically reduced:
  • The inter-line spacing on table heading texts was way too large: <th valign='bottom'>Line 1<br />Line 2</th> produced a blank line between the two text lines. I did not investigate what the root cause might be as all the other major browsers render it almost identically, so I don't really care what upset Chrome.
  • The top line of our corporate Wiki (the Login text) is misplaced.
  • The View source window does not display processing instructions in XML documents.
  • And the worst offender: Blogger in draft works way better, faster and more reliable in Firefox or Internet Explorer than in Chrome.
Summary: I will have Chrome installed to test my applications (some visitors are already using it), but will not use it in the near future.

7 comments:

J said...

can u tell me how you used client side xslt so that it works in chrome? I used w3school's code (http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_client.asp), however this does not seem to workin chrome.

Ivan Pepelnjak said...

The server is sending XML data with the xml-stylesheet processing instruction (PI). The XSL transformation is triggered automatically with the PI.

I haven't tried the JavaScript-driven XSL transformation yet. Thanks for pointing this out, obviously I need to perform that test as well.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to append the HTML created using xml-stylesheet PI to existing html at any perticular location?

Ivan Pepelnjak said...

@Anonymous: while not impossible (I'm using this approach in some applications), it's impractical and error-prone.

I'll write a post describing how it works in a few days, but this is not something I would recommend using.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reply Ivan.
Will wait for your post on how it works.

Ivan Pepelnjak said...

Here's what I've used: http://ajaxandxml.blogspot.com/2008/10/poor-mans-ajax-browser-side-xslt.html

Mark said...

If anybody wants to use JavaScript and AJAX to run XSL translations from Chrome or Safari, there is actually a fairly simple way to do this:
call the PHP XSL conversion routines from JavaScript. Here's a PHP source example: http://ajamyajax.com/phpxsl.html

Hope it helps.
Mark, ajamyajax.com

Post a Comment